Recently our work did layoffs, and one of the young guys who was laid off wrote the key themes of the book on his whiteboard before he left -- I'll post it here, but it really makes more sense if you read the book--
- Change Happens
- They Keep Moving The Cheese
- Anticipate Change
- Get Ready For The Cheese To Move
- Monitor Change
- Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old
- Adapt To Change Quickly
- The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
- Move With The Cheese
- Enjoy Change!
- Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!
- Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again
- They Keep Moving The Cheese.
I think my generation especially has not had to deal a lot with change -- we haven't really had any big wars which people have been drafted for or which the general population has had to suffer for (although I thank the millitary for their service!), and we really haven't had any big disasters. We've had disasters which seem devastating at the time, but didn't affect the majority of Americans a few years later (not like WW2 or the Depression). Anyways, I think change is hard for me, and many of my friends. But, now is as good as a time of any to embrace change and enjoy it! So go seize the day!!!