Sunday, March 21, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese

This weekend I read the quick little story, "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson. It is a quick little book (both Rob and I read it in under 1 hour) about adapting to change, because change is always going to happen whether you want it to or not.

Recently our work did layoffs, and one of the young guys who was laid off wrote the key themes of the book on his whiteboard before he left -- I'll post it here, but it really makes more sense if you read the book--

Change Happens
They Keep Moving The Cheese

Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move

Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old

Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese

Change
Move With The Cheese

Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!

Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.

I think my generation especially has not had to deal a lot with change -- we haven't really had any big wars which people have been drafted for or which the general population has had to suffer for (although I thank the millitary for their service!), and we really haven't had any big disasters. We've had disasters which seem devastating at the time, but didn't affect the majority of Americans a few years later (not like WW2 or the Depression). Anyways, I think change is hard for me, and many of my friends. But, now is as good as a time of any to embrace change and enjoy it! So go seize the day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment