Sunday, September 11, 2011

Weekend in RMNP



It was a beautiful weekend for a drive. A nice long drive through the scenic wonderland that is Rocky Mountain National Park...

My mom and I got to spend a special weekend in Estes Park. We went out last night, brought our lawn chairs, and watched the elk bugle while enjoying some delicious cherry cider! Much to our surprise, while we were sitting there, a blue heron flew right by us! It was neat to see the blue heron in front of all the elk -- I didn't even know there were blue heron in Rocky Mountain Natl Park.


Listening to the elk bugle is always inspiring!


My favorite part of the drive this morning was this beautiful male bull elk. We were driving by when I saw him walking alongside the forest... so we pulled over and I jumped out of the car. He was moving very quickly -- I almost had to run to keep up with him! I got some nice shots as he crossed the road right in front of us, and then within 5 minutes he was completely gone into the forest again... what a little blessing (or a big blessing!)




We also saw a mother moose and her calf -- we were lucky enough to see her first too, so she was nice and close before all the people got there. What a great day for wildlife!




Posted by Picasa

1 comment: