Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cakes 101

This month I am taking a cake decorating class with my friend Rachel. We had our first class last week, where the instructor made everything look so easy -- of course you cake always comes out smooth I thought to myself....

Alas, my first frosted cake didn't come out as smooth as I would have hoped, but practice makes perfect so they say....

The cake out of the oven ( a nice marble fudge cake!)

I tried 'torting' the cake (cutting it in half) and filling it with pudding. I learned that I should use a decorating tip to make the rim because using a knife certainly didn't work. I ended up thinning the frosting too as it was too thick to begin with.
Then I frosted the top... looks good so far! Unfortunately when I put the two pieces together my cake wasn't quite as even as it was when it was just one piece :(
The final frosted cake. Not great, but not bad for a first try...


And to top off the evening Eve got sick tonight so was throwing up :( Not the way I want to spend my last few days with her... but she stayed with me in the kitchen and slept. Poor puppy....


3 comments:

  1. I think your cake turned out pretty well! :-) I am going to attempt to make mine now... I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned the hard way about putting in an icing damm between layers, and had my filling oozing out of the final cake. I think your cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete