Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sprint Triathlon

Well, I did it! I just finished my first sprint triathalon!!! It's been a busy day since yesterday, and I'm a bit tired, but overall I feel good! In fact, I did the triathlon much faster than I even thought I would. My biggest accomplishment came in the run -- I am NOT a runner, and so my plan was to run the first half and then walk and run the second half. Well, I ended up running the ENTIRE 3.5 miles plus the additional distance to the finish, probably totaling 3.75 miles! And, it was even faster than I had run in my training at the gym -- my total time for the 3.5 miles was 35 minutes, which means I was running about 6 miles/hr which is fast for me! So I was super proud of myself, and Rob is also super proud of me too! Of course I am super proud of him too!

We started off the morning at 5 am, in order to get to the reservoir by 6:30. Rob and I went with a group of friends from work. We got all set up in the transition area, which is just a big space with lots of small bike racks. We laid out our bikes, helmets, shoes, camelbacks, etc. Then we got into our wetsuits becaseu the swim portion of the race was first. We all were given white swim caps to go on as well -- boy do we look HOT!


All of us decided to do the 'official' triathalon order of swim-bike-run, so all 7 of us got ready for the swim. The race started in two heats -- all the men followed 7 minutes later by all the women.


The Pre-Race photo!
Add Image

The Post-Race Photo!



I'll try to post some more pictures as I get more, but for now this will have to do! My overall results were pretty good for me!

SWIM-BIKE-RUN
750M swim: 16:38
1st transition time: 3:52 (yes, I was taking my time :))
14M bike: 1:01:33 (this was a very hilly course --- probably 5 miles of just uphill)
2nd transition time: 2:05
3.5M run time: 35:37
Final run to finish: 1:39
Total time! : 2:01:21


So you know what's crazy? There were 70% women at the race. Now why would that be? Further, the top three women times for swim,bike, and run were by women ages 36, 46, and 48 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd! Wow! Maybe I can get there when I am that old! That's pretty amazing though! What's also crazy is that I beat about 50 people doing the same event as me! I was shocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment